My mom's recipe and a very big hit among my family and cousins. Whoever tried this recipe from my mom have always got a lot of appreciations and awesome feedback. Hope you all will enjoy this recipe.
- Pineapple – 2 cups(approx. 250gms) finely chopped
- Sugar – 2 cups(approx. 250grms(
- Milk – 500ml
- Sago – 1/3 cup
- Water – 1 ½ cups(375ml)
- Wash and soak Sago in 1 cup of water for 1 hour. Keep it aside.
2. Finely chop pineapple. Smaller the pieces better the taste and texture.
3. In a pan add chopped pineapples and 1 cup of sugar. Here the pineapple i got was sweet. If you think pineapple is not that sweet enough then u can add more sugar as per your preference. Once you taste, it should be having just the right amount of sweet. Also keep in mind we will be adding sugar in milk as well. we will come to it shortly.
4. It'll look like this once sugar melts and pineapple starts cooking. Give a stir occasionally.
5. Turn off stove once pineapple is cooked well and sugar is all absorbed to pineapple. Keep it aside and let pineapple cool down to room temperature.
6. In another bowl pour 500ml milk, 1 cup of sugar and boil it for 30 mins on medium flame. Make sure to keep stirring it so that sugar won't get burned. (Just remember we have added sugar in pineapple as well so make sure not to make too sweet so be careful while adding sugar in both pineapple and milk, it should be balanced).
Note : Here i have used full cream milk for better taste. Also every 10 mins ill turn flame to high and once milk starts boiling upwards, turn to medium and keep stirring.
7. After 30 mins 1/3rd to 1/2nd of milk would be dried out and milk will turn to a mild yellowish/creamy color (it'll taste more of condensed milk). That's the consistency we are looking for. Once its done turn off flame, let it cool down to room temperature.
8. Next we will cook Sago. After 1 hour of soaking, pour the Sago along with water into a pan, add 1/2 more cup of water. Cook till it turn to glass/transparent texture. Don't forget to stir in between.
9. It took 10 mins for the Sago to cook. Once its completely cooked it'll be soft in texture and will turn to transparent from its natural white color. Turn off stove and let it cool down to room temperature.
10. Once all the 3 sets of mixture cools down to room temperature we will start combining it.(Make sure it completely cools down. it shouldn't be even slightly warm, if so milk will end up curdled.)
11. Take a mixing bowl and add cooked Sago in it.
12. Pour milk into Sago, stir and mix it very well till no lump is seen.
13. Add the cooked pineapple in it. Make sure pineapple is in paste consistency before adding it to milk-sago.
Tip : Sometimes it get hardened once pineapple cools down because of the sugar content in it. If so add a bit of milk to pineapple first, make it to paste and then add it to milk-sago mix.
14. There it goes, Pineapple payasam is ready. It tastes best when served chill.