- Toor Dal - 1 cup (150gm approx.)
- Green Chilly - 4
- Ginger - 1 piece (10gm approx.)
- Shallots/ Small Onions - 8 count
- Asafetida - a pinch
- Onion - 1(small)
- Salt - As required
- Oil - For Frying
- Soak Dal in water for 4 hrs.
- Drain water completely and Grind it by adding Salt(Grind Dal to a course paste which is neither complete paste consistency nor granule). Keep it aside.
- Grind Green Chilly, Ginger, Shallots/small onions. Mix it with Dal mixture. Stir it well.
- Add chopped onions and a pinch of Asafetida to it. Mix well.
- Make small balls with the mixture and then press it with your palm to get Vada shape. Maintain round shape.
- Heat a pan and pour oil. Reduce the flame to medium when oil turns hot(This will stop it from breaking).
- Fry both sides till it turns golden brown in color.
- Serve hot and with a cup of Tea(Perfect combo).
- Make sure you drain water as much as possible from Dal.
- Make sure Oil is hot enough before adding the Vada also make sure to keep it medium flame once oil is very hot as this will help to get a perfect crispy Vada without burning.
- If salt or spices is less, it can be added at the time of mixing grinded ingredients.